I work alongside four other council members and the Mayor to manage, oversee, and improve the city. Over my first three years on the council, we’ve worked collaboratively to make many improvements for our citizens and visitors. We’ve focused on public safety, parks, sidewalks, street improvements and other infrastructure improvements. We have been prudent and fiscally responsible while accomplishing some progressive improvements.
Listed below are examples of our accomplishments:
• Upgraded City of South Padre Island staff
• Tax Increment Reinvestment Zone (TIRZ) approved by Cameron County
• Remodeled and renovated the exterior and interior of the city convention center.
• Remodeled Old City hall building into the new South Padre Island Community Center
• Reduced variable operating city expenses in each of the first two years
• Three Beach re-nourishments
• Opened John L. Thompkins public park.
• Completed Gulf Blvd. renovation into a safer, pedestrian & bike friendly boulevard.
• Approved and financed plan to reshape Padre Blvd. with concrete ADA compliant sidewalks with raised center medians extending to the convention center. The sidewalks begin at Isla Blanca park and extend to the convention center. Construction in progress.
• Reduced speed limits on Padre Blvd. for public safety
• Enacted Hotel Tax Ordinance (HOT) to gain compliance from non-payers
• Installed license plate readers at causeway to track possible criminal activity to improve public safety
• Authorized mobile food trucks for improvement in visitor experience
• Authorized food and beverage service from hotels on the beach
• Completed Multi-Modal Transportation Center with parking.
• Annexed the Thompkins channel for public safety.
• Passed venue-tax and planning on implementation of tourism attractiveness.
• Post & Rope project on many vacant lots to “dress things up”
• Began construction on the multi-modal transportation for parking and Metro center
• Established the South Padre Island Museum temporary and potential new home at what is now the old visitors center
• Successfully agreed to and passed the "mass gatherings" ordinance.
• Passed short-term rental ordinance for enhancement neighborhood safety
Please join me in the following events:
2019 State of the Island Address Wednesday, January 23, 2019 Hilton Garden Inn South Padre Island 11:45 AM